Member of the Brussels Bar since 1996 and registered with the bar of Paris since 2012, Thierry Bontinck graduated from the University of Louvain and a Master's in European Law (Collège d'Europe Bruges).
Thierry Bontinck was a member of the Council of the Order of French-speaking section of the Brussels Bar (2007-2010) and has acted as its Secretary. He was President of the Brussels Young Bar (2006-2007). He teaches ethics and the professional rules at the bar's school. He is a member of the Editorial Committee of the Journal des Tribunaux.
Thierry Bontinck leads our European law, competition, distribution and market practices team.
He has published articles on European law, commercial, distribution and competition law, and is a frequent speaker at seminars on these topics.
His practice leads him to handle cases in both competition law (Belgian and European proceedings, audits, compliance) and commercial distribution (contractual methods, disputes, establishing networks and structuring distribution schemes between France and Belgium). He has been involved in a number of M&A transactions as team leader and local partner in international transactions since 1996.
He is one of the few lawyers who has developed a specific expertise in the area of conflicts.
On the 15th October 2013, he has been appointed as Lecturer of European Law at the Paris Bar School (EFB- Ecole de formation du barreau de Paris).
Competition, distribution and market practices, Mergers and acquisitions, European public law including conflicts between European and international Institutions and their employees.
- The "responsible journalism" in the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights, UIA Congress, Toronto, 28 October 2017
- "Le secret professionnel au regard du droit européen", with Marc Dal, Colloque de la Conférence du Jeune Barreau, 19 October 2017
- "Janssen Cilag SAS c. France" : le faible encadement des "persquisiations concurrence" par la Cour européenne des droits de l'homme", with Anaïs Guillerme, in Journal de droit européen, 2017
- "Les professions réglementées à la croisée des chemins", with Marie Forgeois, in Justement, Kluwer, October 2017
- The judgment in Mor v. France, priority to defence. [Quarterly human rights review] (January 2013)
- Compliance with competition rules and conduct during searches (EU, France, Belgium), Larcier, Brussels, 2012
- Competition dawn raids – How to handle investigators at your company, May 2011
- Anticipate and adapt, or how to deal with competition risk in your company]?, legal supplement, La libre Belgique, 23 April 2011 (with Stéphanie Woog)
- The Akzo case, or company lawyers and attorneys working together to protect fair trial rules of the company], Journal des Tribunaux, 19 February 2011, p. 137 (with Frédéric Puel)
- The effectiveness of fundamental rights in the Union since the Treaty of Lisbon], in [Charter of fundamental rights], Brussels, Bruylant, 2010 (with Stephanie Woog).