Member of the Brussels Bar since 1996, Marc Dal graduated from the Catholic University of Louvain (Université Catholique de Louvain) and holds a Master of Comparative Jurisprudence of the New York University School of Law.
He has been involved in arbitration proceedings both as counsel or as arbitrator (co-arbitrator, sole arbitrator or presiding arbitrator) in over forty arbitration proceedings, administered (incl. ICC, CEPANI) and ad hoc, governed by various procedural and substantive laws, both civil law and common law (incl. English law), and by international law. He is a member of the Board of Directors of The Belgian Center for Arbitration and Mediation (CEPANI) and past Joint Chairman of CEPANI 40.
For Chambers and Partners 2018 : "Market commentators report that Marc Dal of DALDEWOLF is well known throughout the arbitration community and regarded as “good up-and-coming lawyer” who has done an “excellent job” on tribunal cases. He acted on a number of arbitrations at both domestic and international level as arbitrator or counsel."
According to Legal 500 (2018) : "Marc Dal has ‘emerged as one of the leading litigators in Belgium’.”
Leaders League 2018 ranked Marc Dal as "excellent within international arbitration, highly recommended within commercial litigation and excellent as Belgium Best Arbitrator".
He regularly acts in complex civil and commercial disputes before the Belgian Courts.
He is a past member of the Conseil de l’Ordre of the Brussels French speaking bar (Bar Council) (2010-2013). He was Secretary of the Council (2012-2013). He was a member of the Ethics Committee of Avocats.be (2012-2014). He is also past President of the Brussels Young Bar Association (2009-2010).
He is a member of the Editorial Committee of the Journal des Tribunaux and teaches ethics and the professional rules at the school of the Brussels bar.
He has worked as legal advisor of the European subsidiary of a major US financial market.
He has written a number of publications on arbitration law.
Litigation and ADR
- La déontolgoie contre les droits de l'homme, avec Anaïs Guillerme, La déontolgoie contre le droit, Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2018, p. 141
- "Le secret professionnel au regard du droit européen", with Thierry Bontinck, Colloque de la Conférence du Jeune Barreau, 19 October 2017
- Marc Dal published an article about « Arbitration and Emergency » in « The New Belgian Arbitration Law» published by Die Keure / La Charte. The following issues are addressed in this paper: (i) the interim and conservatory measures to be taken by the arbitral tribunal and the role of the state court acting in summary proceedings, (ii) the emergency arbitrator, meaning the arbitrator who is requested to take interim and provisional measures before the constitution of the arbitral tribunal and (iii) the fast track arbitration.
- L'arbitrage en droit belge et international, t. I – Le droit belge, 3ème édition, Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2015, 784 pages (avec G. Keutgen, G.-A. Dal et G. Matray)
- Belgian report, International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration, International Council for Commercial Arbitration, December 2014, 54 pages (with Guy Keutgen and Georges-Albert Dal)
- Le financement de l'arbitrage par les tiers, Juriste International, 2014, n°3, p. 45
- La nouvelle loi belge sur l'arbitrage, Juriste International, 2014, n°2, p.66
- Les recours contre la sentence arbitrale en droit belge, in L'arbitre et le juge étatique, Etudes de droit comparé à la mémoire de Giuseppe Tarzia, Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2014, p. 345
- L'arbitrage en pratique: questions choisies, Jurim pratique, 1/2014, p. 51
- Le secret professionnel et le devoir de discrétion de l'avocat, in Liber Amicorum Georges-Albert Dal, L'avocat, Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2013, p. 231
- La nouvelle loi sur l'arbitrage, JT, 2013, p. 785
- Le nouveau règlement d'arbitrage du Cepani, JT, 2013, p. 349
- Le progrès de l'arbitrage: les rôles respectifs des centres d'arbitrage et du tribunal arbitral, in Hommage à Guy Keutgen pour son action de promotion de l'arbitrage, Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2012, p. 343 (avec S. Davidson).